New export column options

Post your suggestions of improvement or change here.
Ben Zinimblut
Fresh user

New export column options

Post by Ben Zinimblut » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:17 pm

Hi,

found your great product today and directly bought two licenses. :)

I am missing two options in the export options / the HTML view:

- Volume name (I am using more than one data HDDs in a removable HDD frame / carrier so that the path does not help. When I am exporting a file list I need to know on which HDD I can find it)
- it would be very useful if the file extension could be displayed in a seperate column optionally. The purpose is not to hide the file extension but to be able to sort the files for their extension

Thanks a lot,
BZ

admin
Site Admin

Re: New export column options

Post by admin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:30 am

First of all thank you for your purchase :D

There is already an option to display volume names - on the "output options" tab: "Volume label for drives" :)

You can also sort the files by their extension on the "Format & Sorting" tab :)
The only listing where extensions are in separate column is CSV listing.

Ben Zinimblut
Fresh user

Post by Ben Zinimblut » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:25 pm

Thanks for your quick reply.

I found the "Volume label for drives" option. When I check the box in HTML, CSV or text mode the preview does not show the column "Volume" in automatic update mode.
When I export the list in HTML there is no "Volume" column as well.
When I export the list in CSV there is a column called "Volume" (or so) but is empty. :?
admin wrote:First of all thank you for your purchase :D

There is already an option to display volume names - on the "output options" tab: "Volume label for drives" :)

You can also sort the files by their extension on the "Format & Sorting" tab :)
The only listing where extensions are in separate column is CSV listing.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:51 pm

This is because Volume label is not displayed in a separate column. Sorry I didn't mention it. It would be not practical to have this in a separate column. Instead it is displayed in the name column in () brackets. And this value is entered only for the root folder.

Ben Zinimblut
Fresh user

Post by Ben Zinimblut » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:00 pm

I see.
That's a pitty. :(
I need to see which file is on which volume regardless if it is in the root or anyhwere else.
I am sorting the files in alphabetical order using the "files treated all together option". I do not need an overview per volume but an overview of all my files. To be able to locate them later I need to know the volume of the drive they are stored on.
This can only be realized by an extra column "volume" IMHO.

Ben

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:10 pm

Yes, this justifies a need for a separate column with a volume label. I will add this to the requirements for a future version.
As for now, will the header of the whole listing make the trick, or you are not generating listings for each of your volumes separately?

Ben Zinimblut
Fresh user

Post by Ben Zinimblut » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:37 pm

good news, thank you :)

When I am indexing the files I have all disks connected at one time -> one big list including all files at one time (as long as my hardware allows it). I am not generating the listings for each volume seperately. They have kind off dynamic content.
For now I can use a workaround and make one list per volume and add the column manually.