End of Listing Marker And Start Scanning Button

Post your suggestions of improvement or change here.
doremi
Fresh user

End of Listing Marker And Start Scanning Button

Post by doremi » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:27 pm

Hi,

I ran Directory Lister on my entire C: Drive with Output File Type HTML. It ran forever, so I cancelled it. It took forever to stop also... Actually, I restarted the computer because I can't tell for sure if it hanged my computer.

Anyways, I decided to create the list using Output File Type Text File. It ran a long time but at least it completed.... I think. It would be nice if Directory Lister puts an End of Listing Marker on the output so that one is assured that we have the complete list.

For CSV file output, of course, this is not required.

Another suggestion would be add an icon or button to start scanning rather than automatically starting the scan. I do not want Directory Lister to start scanning before I completed my selection of Drives and/or Subdirectories.

Thanks

admin
Site Admin

Re: End of Listing Marker And Start Scanning Button

Post by admin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:46 pm

Hi,
doremi wrote:I ran Directory Lister on my entire C: Drive with Output File Type HTML. It ran forever, so I cancelled it. It took forever to stop also... Actually, I restarted the computer because I can't tell for sure if it hanged my computer.
Well, in this case the listing definitely was HUGE so the result inside Directory Lister Pro is exactly the same as if you would open the resulting listing in Internet Explorer. It's way too big for any browser to handle it. So unfortunately this will not improve.
doremi wrote: Anyways, I decided to create the list using Output File Type Text File. It ran a long time but at least it completed.... I think. It would be nice if Directory Lister puts an End of Listing Marker on the output so that one is assured that we have the complete list.
You can place the summary at the bottom of the listing which will act as your end of listing marker. Do this by checking "Display summary" option on the "Display" page and then selecting "at the bottom" radio.
doremi wrote: Another suggestion would be add an icon or button to start scanning rather than automatically starting the scan. I do not want Directory Lister to start scanning before I completed my selection of Drives and/or Subdirectories.
Just uncheck the "Automatically refresh preview" option on the "Program options" page and it will work as you described.